Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Short Bump

I don't often read Kotaku, so I missed this.  There's a Gamers Against Bigotry pledge making the rounds.  (I had it pointed out to me by a friend who is a non-gamer blogger.)  It's pretty much tantamount to the D.A.R.E. pledge to avoid drugs for those of you who went through that sort of thing*.  It's also a no-brainer if you don't do that sort of thing in-game anyway, but still they're struggling to get 10k pledges by August 1st.

Perhaps it is a small victory if they can get even as few as 10,000 gamers to sign up.  I'm also under no illusions that it's going to suddenly make Trade Chat a happy-happy place to hang out, but the more people that stand up and say that this sort of behavior is NOT okay, so much the better.




*I didn't, but when I was in high school we had Nancy Reagan's Just Say No week long campaign, which D.A.R.E. evolved out of.

2 comments:

  1. It would be nice to see 10,000 but I think the real name might be a stumbling block. I'm not using my real name so I had my dog use his account, he is my internet persona so they got a pledge and I got to remain hidden in the shadows, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at it this way; the "real name" is a misnomer, since we're known by our avatars/toons in MMOs. It's more of a Change.org thing.

      Delete